Skip to content

Considering the Business side of iOS Development

August 19, 2010

Well, I’m in a slightly confused state.  I had read that when you register in the iPhone Developer Program, you were asked for company registration details and the question mark was over if, in the UK, you flagged yourself up to HMRC as being a Sole Trader (effectively, self-employed), was whatever information you got back from HMRC enough to satisfy Apple?

But, of course, I’m now looking and see that there’s not just the one blanket $99/£59 individual program, but the individual program and company program, the former appearing to just need your credit card details when registering but your own name appears as publisher in the App Store, whereas to have it appear with a company name, you select the company program but then you do have to provide corporate registration details.

Now, I was thinking (possibly incorrectly) that because it seems you can declare yourself a Sole Trader with HMRC, then you can have a company name on that basis even though it’s not a proper ‘registered with companies house’ name that you would have if you were setting up a Limited company.

I need to research more on this, as I want to have my tax affairs in order up front with HMRC but (like many new start part-time iOS devs, I presume) I’m not willing to go down the Limited company route when this venture is a side-line/extra income earner, and I have no intention of quitting my day-job.

Basically, I want to declare as a Sole Trader status with HMRC so I get a tax return to complete, but also have a company name displayed in the App Store, and am now wondering if the two are mutually incompatible.

Not helped by the Apple info being (obviously) US-centric.

I’m also wondering if the individual program is like a ‘you manage your own tax via your personal tax return’ where you don’t actually need to declare yourself as self-employed at all with HMRC (but obviously still have to tell them about your extra untaxed income – if any – from the App Store!)

More reading required 🙂


From → iOS Business

One Comment
  1. Actually, it sounds like you can be registered with HMRC as a sole trader, but also be a ‘Dormant Limited Company’ so that you are effectively pre-registering a Limited company name. Yet more research required, however, as it seems you can’t trade using a Dormant Limited company, so how can you then use the company name in ‘sole-trader mode’? Hmmm. Might have to call HMRC 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: